We engage widely on the international stage. This is a reflection of the global nature of trauma and orthopaedics. Our principal links comprise:
The European Federation of Orthopaedics and Traumatology – EFORT: in 1991 the BOA was a founding member of EFORT which works on behalf of the European orthopaedic and traumatology community to restore and secure mobility, musculoskeletal health and quality of life: www.efort.org/default.aspx
- EFORT is the umbrella organisation linking Europe‘s national orthopaedic associations.
- Its aims reflect the will of all the participating associations to promote the exchange of scientific knowledge and experience in the field of prevention and both the conservative and surgical treatment of diseases and injuries concerning the musculo-skeletal system.
- To this end, particular emphasis is placed upon activities focusing on education and research.
- Today EFORT has 42 national member societies from 43 member countries, as well as six associate scientific members. It promotes collaboration with the European Specialty Societies and has established close links to International Societies.
- EFORT was established as a non-profit organisation and all funds are used exclusively in the pursuit of the Federation‘s objectives:
- Representation of state-of-the-art orthopaedics and musculoskeletal traumatology in Europe.
- Promotion of research, science and training in orthopaedics and traumatology in Europe.
- Exchange of scientific experience and knowledge and the improvement of education and training
- Formulation of EFORT standards and guidelines for the various areas of activity pursued by our members.
The BOA President, Chief Executive and one other officer attend the strategy session and general assembly before the annual EFORT meeting.
We also supply examiners for the European Board of Orthopaedics and Traumatology (EBOT) exam that is arranged under EFORT auspices.
The Carousel of the following national orthopaedic associations in addition to the BOA:
Carousel Presidents attend one another’s annual meetings where they meet formally as a Council to discuss T&O policy issues.
The BOA Chief Executive attends the annual AAOS meeting as this provides an ideal networking opportunity with other CEOs, industry and UK Trade and Investment.
The Indian Orthopaedic Association - www.ioaindia.org/ - with whom we sustain close engagement through reciprocal Presidential attendance at one another’s Congresses.
The Chinese Orthopaedic Association - www.coachina.org/ - whose annual Congress the BOA president will in future attend.