3rd – 4th July 2017 (London) – Registration FULL
12th – 13th October 2017 (Newcastle) – Registration OPEN
This programme was established to improve the standard of teaching and learning for those in trauma and orthopaedic (T&O) training and practice. If T&O trainers and trainees understand how people learn and how the T&O curriculum works, teaching and learning should improve.
Lisa Hadfield-Law, our educational advisor, facilitates each course. Over the last 15 years, Lisa has trained over 5000 T&O surgeons to teach, from 63 countries within Europe, North America, Latin America, and Asia Pacific.
At the end of the course, participants will be able to:
- Apply principles of learning including feedback to improve teaching;
- Focus on relevant issues arising from the T&O curriculum;
- Identify personal learning needs;
- Use opportunities in practice for:
– Effective small group teaching
- Plan how to handle difficult teaching situations;
- Optimise opportunistic teaching and learning:
– In theatre
– On a ward round
– In outpatients and the emergency department
There will be 10 participants on each course and although TOTs is not formally assessed, we offer peer and educator led feedback. ISCP Workplace Based Assessments can be completed incorporating this feedback.
Lisa has had excellent feedback from previous course participants who have made the following comments:
- “This course was all I had hoped for, in fact more so. I found it extremely stimulating and worthwhile.”
- “Only through courses such as this will we improve the quality of teaching required to take orthopaedic education forward.”
- “I found your course enlightening, stimulating and utterly absorbing.”
- “Excellent and enjoyable course. For one who thought of himself as a conscientious teacher, I realised the usefulness of modern teaching methods.”
- “All doctors need exposing to this at an early stage in their careers.”
We have made every attempt to keep the course fee to the minimum and will hold the programme at the BOA, unless stated otherwise. The course fee is £400 for BOA members for the two days (£700 for non members). This covers lunch and refreshments on both days.
Fees are payable at the time of registration. Please note that once a place is confirmed, there is a no-refund policy as the budgets are too tight to cope with any last minute cancellations.