Developing your Daycase General Surgery Service
Day surgery is now provided for an increasing range of procedures, in patients ranging from the very fit to the rather frail. It has become the standard of care for many elective surgery procedures and should be the default option for all 200 procedures within the BADS Directory of Procedures.
As the healthcare industry faces a cost predicament, it is incumbent upon healthcare professionals to identify andreduce unnecessary practices without worsening patient outcomes. A new procedure that creates both a reduction in cost and improved patient outcomes is desirable. Hospital stays after complex general surgery constitute a large percentage of the entire procedure’s cost.
Currently, the average hospital length of stay (LOS) after a colectomy and fundoplication is 7 days to 10 days and 3 days respectively in the United Kingdom. However, a trend is emerging toward shorter LOS following colectomies and fundoplications by changing the perioperative procedures. The improvement of patient selection, preoperative optimisation and surgical advances have all contributed to a shorter LOS.
We shall hear about successful day case Laparoscopic Fundoplication and Laparoscopic cholecystectomy pathways.
Host: A Joint BADS & HCUK Conference, Chaired by Dr Kim Russon President Elect BADS
Attending this conference will enable you to:
- Gain insight into the NEW Same Day Emergency Care (SDEC) standards expected to be achieved by all units by March 2021 set by the RCS and NHS England.
- The GIRFT general surgery report aims to help units tackle variations in the way services are delivered across the UK. The joint peri-operative GIRFT lead will help you identify changes that will help improve care and patient outcomes, as well as delivering efficiencies such as the reduction of unnecessary procedures and cost savings.
- Improve the way we manage emergency pathways in the daycase unit to improve the patient journey.
- Learn from outstanding practice in day case Fundoplication by nationally renown surgeon.
- Understand how you can improve the day case Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy service in your unit.
Addtional Information can be found via the link below.