Virtual Training Orthopaedic Trainers (V-TOTs)
VIRTUAL TRAINING ORTHOPAEDIC TRAINERS (V-TOTs)
Lisa Hadfield-Law, our education advisor, is a trained virtual teacher and has created a programme which aims to improve the standard of teaching for those in trauma and orthopaedic (T&O) training and practice entirely online. The underlying premise of TOTs is that if T&O trainers understand how people learn and how the T&O curriculum works, by translating that understanding into action, they should improve their teaching.
The BOA Training Orthopaedic Trainers (TOTs) course is now running entirely online as Virtual TOTs (V-TOTs). Much of the work can be done at a time, place and pace convenient to participants, with attendance at live virtual meetings to supplement personal learning. Learning is monitored through learning logs with written feedback from expert faculty. The V-TOTs course will last for approximately 6 weeks.
Please note: The learning materials for this event booking will be available from 25th March onwards; this is the official start date of this event, however, there will be scheduled dates for when the live online learning sessions are to be held.
When booking onto the course, please be aware that there are two virtual live sessions (through Zoom) you must attend to complete this course. The dates and time for these sessions are:
- 4th April 6-9pm
- 12th April 6-7.30pm
Please ensure you are available on these dates before you book onto the course.
We will use:
- A learning log distributed through email with feedback from the moderator and cohort colleagues, to achieve learning outcomes through a set of screencasts and activities that you complete at your own pace.*
- Zoom for one 3 hour and one 1 hour 30 minutes live session for teaching similations with feedback, and discussion.
The prep work to be completed before the virtual live sessions will be distributed to booked delegates via email.
*Participants should complete the programme within 6 weeks of the start date. The total course duration (number of hours you need to allocate to the course entirely) is approximately 17 hours.
At the end of the course, participants will be able to:
- Identify personal development needs as a trainer
- Focus on relevant issues arising from the T&O curriculum
- Apply principles of learning including feedback to improve teaching
- Help learners develop capabilities:
- Working with the multidisciplinary team
- In the operating theatre
- During an unselected emergency take
- Caring for in-patients
- In an outpatient’s clinic
- Maximise opportunities in practice for:
- Small group teaching
- Simulation & technology enhanced learning
- Supporting learners with additional needs
There will be 8-16 participants on each course and although not summatively assessed, we offer peer and educator led feedback. ISCP Workplace Based Assessments can be completed incorporating this feedback.
Lisa has had excellent feedback from previous course participants who have made the following comments:
“Excellent and enjoyable course. For one who thought of himself as a conscientious teacher, I realised the usefulness of modern teaching methods.”
“All doctors need exposing to this at an early stage in their careers.”
“I’ve just had a formal feedback summary from our education lead, and I’ve seen a huge increase in quality scores. All thanks to the techniques I learned.”
“Much more useful and applicable as this was a course aimed at training orthopaedic trainers and not simply a generic teach the teacher course – specifics of the curriculum, technical skills, cases/teaching topics selected.”
An established T&O surgical trainer and our educational advisor, Lisa Hadfield-Law, facilitates each course. Over the last 20 years, Lisa has trained over 15,000 surgeons, from 68 countries within Europe, North America, Latin America, and Asia Pacific.
The course fee is £400 for BOA members (£700 for non-members).
Fees are payable at the time of registration. Your place is only treated as confirmed once payment is received. Please note that once a place is confirmed, there is a no-refund policy as the budgets are too tight to cope with any last minute cancellations.
By booking onto this course you consent to:
- The use of your work/personal email for distribution of the learning log and communications with the moderator and cohort colleagues
- The use of Zoom for the virtual live sessions required for course attendance
- Sharing any of your own, or others, personal details in any of the above software/programmes is not permitted