Medical Student Day at the 2022 BOA Annual Congress
Please join us at the Medical Student Day at this year’s BOA Annual Congress on Friday 23rd September at the ICC in Birmingham!
Designed for undergraduates and junior doctors, the day consists of sessions designed to deliver insight into orthopaedic surgery and provide a glimpse of life as an orthopaedic surgeon, including information on various career pathways. Book now to secure your place!
The day will consist of these not to be missed sessions:
The morning will consists of short sessions on different subspecialties to hear what it’s like from leading experts in Foot and Ankle, Knee, Hand, Paediatrics, Arthroplasty, and Spines.
What every Orthopaedic Surgeon needs to know
Mid-morning there will be a number of sessions on topics every aspiring orthopaedic surgeon should know, such as:
- Combining surgery and family life
- T&O overseas and in the developing world
- T&O in the military
- How to get a training post
- Research pathways in T&O
The afternoon will consist of a round robin of four 30-minute practical sessions under Consultant supervision where you will:
- fix an ankle fracture
- use bone cement and understand why and how we use it
- apply an external fixator to saw bone models that would be used in emergency situations
- use different plates and screws to fix long bone fractures and understand why we use different types of implants depending on the fracture.
Meet a Consultant
Have a one-to-one chat with an orthopaedic surgeon where you will have the opportunity to ask any questions you may have about the orthopaedic specialty. To register for a face-to-face appointment, please email the BOA events team.
For more information on the BOA Annual Congress including travel and accommodation, visit our website at www.boa.ac.uk/Congress.