Austria, Switzerland and Germany (ASG) Travelling Fellowship
APPLICATIONS ARE NOW CLOSED
The following information applies to the 2018 ASG Fellowship. Applications will open for the 2020 ASG Fellowship later in 2019 – Members should keep an eye on their BOA emails and the BOA website for further information.
BOA members will be invited to apply for the ASG Travelling Fellowship. The Fellowship promotes international travel for the exchange of medical ideas with a tour of Austria, Switzerland and Germany together with Fellows from the American and Canadian Orthopaedic Association. The tour will take place in spring of 2018 (exact dates tbc).
The deadline for this year’s applications was Friday 20th October 2017.
History of the ASG Fellowship:
The ASG Fellowship was introduced in 1978 by the orthopaedic Associations of Austria, Germany and Switzerland to provide an opportunity for orthopaedic surgeons from those three countries to visit North America in order to forge closer international relations. In 1981, the American Orthopaedic Association founded a reciprocal tour enabling US surgeons to visit those three countries. In time, Canadian and British Fellows have been included in this tour.
The Fellow selected will visit orthopaedic institutions throughout Austria, Switzerland and Germany during a three to four week tour in the spring of 2018.
The BOA funds an economy return air fare to Europe. The host country sponsors all other costs incurred by Fellows during their tour.
Please note that applicants must be BOA members and under the age of 45 on the 1st of January of the year of the tour. Please read the terms and conditions below for further information.
Applications are considered by the BOA Executive Group and there is only one place available in the UK.
Shortlisted applicants may be invited for an interview by a panel made up of members of the BOA Executive.
Terms & Conditions
Eligibility & Applications:
- Applicants must be current members of the BOA.
- Applicants who have previously applied but have been unsuccessful can apply again.
- Applications will not be accepted from successful candidates in the previous year’s round.
- The ASG Fellowship cannot be awarded retrospectively.
- The ASG Fellowship has specific eligibility criteria and applicants should ensure they check these carefully:
- Applicants must have been an appointed consultant for less than 10 complete years on 1 January of the year the tour is due to commence.
- Applicants must be available to travel during the spring of the year following their application. The tour takes approximately 3-4 weeks.
- By accepting the ASG Fellowship, the awardee agrees not to partake in any activities that will bring the BOA and/or the sponsors into disrepute.
- The BOA accepts no liability for the actions of the candidate while on the ASG Fellowship, or for activities related to it.
After the Fellowship:
- Following completion of the ASG Fellowship, the BOA requires the successful applicant to submit a report about their Fellowship:
- The report should be submitted within 6 weeks of Fellowship completion.
- The report should be of at least 500 words and, where possible, include some photographs.
- The BOA reserves the right to publish the report on the BOA website, in its publications and publicity, and for any other purposes as it sees fit.
- British Fellows will be responsible for the purchasing of their flight to the host country.
- The BOA will subsidise the cost of an economy flight to the host country to a value of £300.00.
- In special circumstances, it may be possible to claim additional funds for flights. Requests of this nature must be put in writing to the Director of Finance and the Honorary Treasurer for consideration.
- Successful applicants will be responsible for funding the costs of travelling to and from the airport which they are flying from.
- Successful applicants will be responsible for funding the cost of travel insurance.
- All other costs incurred will be met by the host country.
- More details on financial arrangements will be provided to successful applicants.
- Funds must be claimed within 6 months of the end of the fellowship, after which time the funds available will be reallocated to other BOA expenditure.