BOA Future Leaders Programme
Applications for the 2023 Future Leaders Programme are now closed.
The BOA’s vision for the Future Leaders Programme is to create an alumni of leaders with the capabilities to improve the delivery of clinical care and to influence positive change within the profession. The need for clinicians as leaders has become even more pressing in the face of a global economic downturn and pandemic crisis, because improving care within an environment of shrinking resources becomes a major challenge. The transition from an individual clinician to a healthcare leader is a significant step: one which requires a change in self-image, values, behaviours, knowledge and skills.
This 12-month programme will support 30-35 T&O surgeons with the passion to be future leaders within their specialty and equip them with the advanced leadership skills necessary to excel. We use the process of building a Quality Improvement Project, as a vehicle to develop these leadership skills.
The BOA Future Leaders Programme (FLP) is:
- A one year programme
- Aimed at senior trainees (ST8 or above), newly appointed consultants, SAS surgeons and post-CCT surgeons.
- A combination of master classes, tutorials and coaching sessions with experts and includes four two day face-to-face modules.
- A significant innovation/improvement project delivered by each future leader for either their Trust or Specialist Society strategic change agenda.
- Facilitated by Hiro Tanaka (BOA Council Member) and Lisa Hadfield-Law (BOA Education Advisor).
Applications for the 2023/4 Future Leaders Programme will open in April 2023.
The 2024 programme is £3,700 (including VAT) which includes all fees, learning materials and day delegate hospitality, but does not cover travel or accommodation.
Module Venue: The programme will take place in the Midlands and conduced in person.
Provisional Module Dates:
- 23/24 October 2023
- 9/10 January 2024
- 6/7 March 2024
- 6/7 June 2024
Please note, these are provisional dates for the 2023/4 Future Leaders Programme. We will confirm these dates soon.
Am I eligible?
When the programme runs, you must be either:
- a senior trainee (ST8 or above)
- a newly appointed consultant (less than 3 years)
- an SAS surgeon (FRCS Tr & Orth)
- a post-CCT surgeon
All participants must be BOA members to be eligible to take part in the programme.
Any non-members are expected to apply to become a member and ensure there is sufficient time for this to be processed. If you are a Plastic Surgeon and secure a BSSH funded position on the programme, you will need to become an Associate member of the BOA and your membership fee will be funded by BSSH.