Virtual Training Orthopaedic Educational Supervisors (V-TOES)
Whilst face-to-face programmes have been suspended, the BOA has created the V-TOES programme run entirely on line. The V-TOES pilot will be running shortly. If you wish to book onto the V-TOES pilot course, please click here
Can you spare 6 hours to learn how to supervise trainees to be the very best they can? The programme will be run virtually - 3 hours of live virtual sessions and 3 hours whenever you can spare the time
No more box ticking and number crunching. Life for you, as a trainer should be better and richer from August 2021. All the curriculum work over the last 3 years is coming to fruition. It will address concerns expressed by many trainers about the over refined structure of ISCP: of tick boxes and forms. Our trainees need to acquire professional judgement, insight, leadership, and the ability to work with others, alongside the operative skills required to be a safe surgeon. The new updated curriculum should help us do this more effectively. This 6 hour virtual programme is designed to help Educational Supervisors make the necessary changes work for them and their trainees.
We will use
- Microsoft Teams and Zoom (if necessary) to achieve learning outcomes through screencasts, activities and a learning log with feedback from the moderator and cohort colleagues
- Microsoft Team Call/Zoom for one 3-hour live session for teaching simulations with feedback, and discussions.
Participants should complete the course within 3 weeks of the start date.
At the end of this programme, participants will be able to:
- Summarise changes to the T&O curriculum and how these will affect you
- Make the best use of assessment tools including the Multi Consultant Report
- Integrate the new Capabilities in Practice and Generic Professional Capabilities
- Plan how to conduct or contribute to a Multi Consultant Report (MCR)
- Make best use of their trainer portfolio
- Use assessment of reflective writing to maximise trainee progress
The programme will be facilitated by Lisa Hadfield-Law, the BOA educational advisor. Over the last 20 years, Lisa has trained over 15,000 T&O surgeons, from 68 countries, to teach. She trained as a virtual teacher in 2016 and has run over 30 fully on line programmes.
- I'd go so far as to say that this is far superior to the more traditional course with face-to-face contact time. I think you've done an outstanding job.
- Really enjoyed the course. I don't know how you manage it all.
- Will recommend highly to colleagues.
- A really good way of maintaining CPD while away.
- I have found the course to be excellent & I've been extolling it's merits to all who will listen!
- Virtual is the way forward, this helps to work around ones own schedule and be safe. The virtual content allows reflection and ability to go back to something that was not clear.
The course fee is £69. Fees are due and payable at the time of registration. Please note that once a place is confirmed, there is a no-refund policy.
By booking onto this course you consent to:
- The use of Microsoft Teams and Zoom for all communication and learning material needs
- Sharing any of your own, or others, personal details in any of the above software/programmes is not permitted