James Lind Alliance
Setting the agenda for research
The BOA is pleased to have been involved in several research priority setting projects.
In 2018, a joint survey was undertaken between the NIHR (National Institute for Health Research), the BOA and Versus Arthritis (or Arthritis Research UK) relating to elective orthopaedics. This has begun to lead to commissioned calls for research funding in several of the areas identified.
Aside from this, the BOA has contributed financially to eight ‘Priority Setting Partnerships’ through the highly-regarded James Lind Alliance process and in collaboration with specialist societies. These are listed below, and while some have published results, others are continuing in their development.
- 2014 - Surgery for common shoulder problems
- 2015 - Early hip and knee osteoarthritis
- 2016 - Broken bones in older people - Musculoskeletal injury: fragility fracture of the lower limb and pelvis
- 2017 - Broken bones of the upper limb in people over 50
- 2018 - Revision knee replacement
- 2019 - Foot and ankle orthopaedics
- 2019 - Elbow conditions
- 2020 - Complex fractures