Volume 5 Issue 4
1. MDU ceases to cover private spinal surgery. BMJ 2017;357:j2725.
2. Malpractice litigation and the spine: the NHS perspective on 235 successful claims in England. Quraishi NA,Hammett TC, Todd DB, Bhutta MA, Kapoor V, Eur Spine J.2012 May;21 Suppl 2:S196-9.
5. The 'three-legged stool': a system for spinal informed consent. Powell JM, Rai A, Foy M, Casey A, Dabke H, Gibson A, Hutton M. Bone Joint J. 2016 Nov; 98-B (11):1427-1430.
1. Styner JK. The birth of Advanced Trauma Life Support (ATLS) The Surgeon 2006; 4: 163-5.
2. American College of Surgeons. Advanced Trauma Life Support (ATLS): the Ninth Edition. Chicago: American College of Surgeons 2012.
3. Booth A, Steel A, Klein J. Anesthesia and pre-hospital emergency medicine. Anaesthesia 2013; 68: 40-8.
4. Hettiaratchy S, Tai N, Mahoney P, Hodgetts T. UK’s NHS Trauma Systems: lessons from military experience. Lancet 2010; 376: 149-51.
5. Pfeifer R, Teuben M, Andruszkow H, Barkatali B, Pape H-C. Mortality Patterns in Patients with Multiple Trauma: A Systematic Review of Autopsy Studies. PLoS One 2016; 11(2).
6. Thies K et al. The European Trauma Course – from concept to course. Resuscitation 2007: 74: 135-141.
1. Gilmour J, Veldkamp B, Galland RB. 2000. Can changes to junior surgical jobs improve training and make a career in surgery more attractive? Ann R Coll Surg Engl 82 (suppl 5):154–6.
2. Purcell Jackson G. 2009. Howlong does it take to train a surgeon? BMJ. 339:b4260
3. Ericsson KA, Krampe RT, Tesch-Romer C. 1993. The role of deliberate practice in the acquisition of expert performance. Psychol Rev. 100:363-406
4. Black J. 2009. EWTD: maintaining the pressure. Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 91: 258–259
5. Kara N, Patil PV, Shimi, SM. 2008. Changes in working patterns hit emergency general surgical training. Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 90: 60–63
6. Stephens MR, Pellard S, Boyce J, Blackshaw, GRJC, Williams DH, Lewis WG. 2004. Influence of EWTD compliant rotas on SHO operative experience. Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 86: 120–121
7. Maxwell AJ, Crocker M, Jones TL, Bhagawati D, Papadopoulos MC, Bell BA. 2010. Implementation of the European working time directive in neurosurgery reduces continuity of care and training opportunities. Acta Neurochir (Wien). 152: 1207–1210
8. Marron CD, Byrnes CK, Kirk SJ. 2005. An EWTD compliant shift rota decreases SHO training opportunities Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 87: 246–248
9. Bates T, Cecil E, Greene I. 2007. The effect of the EWTD on training in general surgery: an analysis of electronic logbook records. Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 89: 106–109
10. Temple J. 2010. Time for training: a review of the EWTD on the quality of training. Department of Health, London
11. Fitzgerald JEF, Caeser BC. 2012. The European Working Time Directive: A Practical review for surgical trainees. Volume 10, Issue 8, Pages 399–403
12. Fitzgerald JEF, Caeser BC. 2012. The European Working Time Directive: A Practical review for surgical trainees. Volume 10, Issue 8, Pages 399–403
1. Davies J, Hadfield-Law, L. FRCS (T&O): a trainee’s and educationalist’s perspective on exam preparation. Journal of Trauma and Orthopaedics. 2017; 5(2):26-27
2. The Joint Committee on Intercollegiate Examinations - FRCS (Specialty) Examination Results. (Accessed Sept 2017) (Available from: https://www.jcie.org.uk/content/content.aspx?ID=9)
3. Joint Committee on Surgical Training - Waypoint assessment for ST6 Trainees in Trauma & Orthopaedics. (Accessed Sept 2017) (Available from: https://www.jcst.org/-/media/files/jcst/certification-guidelines-andchecklists/st6-checklist--to-2017-final.docx?la=en)
4. Joint Committee on Surgical Training - Penultimate year assessment checklist for Trauma & Orthopaedics. (Accessed Sept 2017) (Available from: https://www.jcst.org/-/media/files/jcst/certification-guidelines-andchecklists/penultimate-year-checklist--to-2017-final-(1).docx?la=en)
1. Burton M (2017) http://www.kennedyslaw.com/article/impact-of-lord-chancellors-dramatic-discount-ratereduction/.
2. Ministry of Justice (2017) The Personal Injury Discount Rate: how it should be set in the future 7th September 2017.
4. Stride R (2017) MDU blasted for ditching back surgery. Independent Practitioner Today July-Aug p8.