Indemnity cover for BOA members
Howden have teamed up with the BOA to offer members a 10% discount on the quoted premium when purchasing Medical Indemnity Insurance.
It is important to BOA that members have access to suitable indemnity cover and protection. The availability of innovative and flexible cover is vital for the benefit of our members and the provision of high-quality clinical care for patients. As such, we have partnered with Howden Insurance Brokers Ltd to provide a 10% discount on the quoted premium for all BOA members purchasing Medical Indemnity Insurance. Their cover meets the demands of the modern surgical environment at competitive prices.
Howden Insurance Brokers Ltd
Howden is the largest independent insurance broker in the UK. Its Health & Care division has over 40 specialists embedded within the healthcare sector, and understands its challenges. Howden provides BOA members with tailored insurance solutions that evolve to respond to the latest innovations and practices, with competitive and affordable premiums.
Unlike Mutual Defence Organisations (MDOs), Howden offers clients contract-certain Medical Indemnity policies rather than discretionary indemnity. This means that with Howden, should you have a claim, your right to be indemnified will be covered by an insurance policy. With an MDO, this right would be discretionary, governed by membership of your mutual.
What you will receive from a Howden Insurance policy:
- Competitive premiums
- Contract certain insurance policies
- 12 month Extended Reporting Period (ERP) for career breaks and 21 year ERP on death or retirement
- Unlimited retroactive cover – a Howden policy will cover you even if you have previously held insurance with an MDO
- Access to a 24/7 medico-legal helpline
- A friendly and experienced team who can guide you through the process and answer any questions you may have.
Howden’s services are available to any BOA member who wishes to use them. To find out more about how Howden can help you:
- Visit their website
- Call: 020 4579 2996 and quote ‘BOA’ to access your discount
Medical Indemnity FAQs
If a patient suffers harm as a result of your professional negligence, omission or a breach of duty whilst you are carrying out your medical work, a Medical Indemnity Insurance policy can provide cover to help protect against any legal costs and compensation. This is also referred to as Medical Malpractice Insurance.
Medical Indemnity policies are specifically designed to cater to the unique challenges and hazards that the medical profession face.
The GMC recommends that surgeons purchase “adequate and appropriate” Medical Indemnity Insurance for claims arising from (i) any independent practice, whether this work takes place on NHS or HSC premises or not or (ii) medico legal work, if this work requires a licence to practise.
Howden’s Medical Indemnity insurance provides cover for:
- Medical liability claims – covering all elements of a malpractice claim, including the initial costs of defending the claim, amounts offered in settlement and award of damages.
- Claims involving mental injury as well as physical
- Governing body disciplinary inquires
- Good Samaritan acts
- Libel and slander
- Breach of confidentiality
- Coroners Inquests
- Plus access to a 24/7 medico legal helpline
If an incident happens and one of your service users believes you have breached your duty of care, Medical Indemnity insurance can step in. Here are some common claims Medical Indemnity insurance can cover:
- Failure to diagnose
- Surgical errors
- Incorrect treatment
- Prescription errors