World Orthopaedic Concern UK (WOC)
World Orthopaedic Concern UK is a charitable organisation dedicated to improving the standard of orthopaedics, trauma and reconstructive surgery in low/middle income countries. Our objectives are:
- To provide orthopaedic education to institutions and persons in countries of low/middle income, and when appropriate to support all aspects of an orthopaedic service to develop.
- To give help and advice to those engaged in orthopaedic training, research or service programmes in countries of low/middle income.
- To act as a facilitator for other UK based organisations and persons engaged in provision of orthopaedic training and research in countries of low/middle income.
- To support and facilitate activities related to provision of orthopaedic training in countries of low/middle income, such as capacity building and disaster or conflict relief.
- To act as a pressure group in the UK regarding the need for orthopaedic development in countries of low/middle income.
- To support when appropriate the fund-raising needed to allow our objectives to succeed.
The British section of this organisation has particular associations with a number of projects in specific developing countries. We send experienced Orthopaedic Surgeons to such projects, where their teaching expertise can be of benefit. In addition to didactic teaching, they also provide surgical instruction in the operating theatre. Each project thus requires qualified short term volunteer Surgeons to fill these posts, whilst some further vacancies exist for British orthopaedic surgical trainees which provide experience and approved training in Orthopaedics in a developing country situation.
Chairman: Ms Deepa Bose
Secretary: Mrs Roz Tucker
Next WOC UK Meeting: 5th June 2021, Chester (Download flyer here)
Contact: Natasha Wainwright, 35-43 Lincoln’s Inn Fields, London, WC2A 3PE
T: 020 7406 1762
F: 020 7831 2676